Sunday, September 04, 2005

evasive nature, caught.

As I lay under the stars last night and contemplated all things unknown to me I felt a wonderful feeling, one of awe and wonder. People of the city can't begin to understand what they're missing. The northern lights danced and glowed so bright that the moon seemed dull in comparison, they changed from green to yellow, and from yellow to white, and from white to red and blue. "I want to see them up north," I thought to myself, "where they illuminate the snow and erase the stars."
The longer I looked at the stars that night, (and the longer my shutter of my camera was left open) the more they were accentuated. The bright became HOT and the dull became bright, I saw an array of stars twinkling like never I had before. I am inexperienced compared to many in the art of photography but I managed to get my hands on some decent pictures that night. Taking photographs of the stars and northern lights is like trying to catch fish (with you're hands of course). For this first one I drove out to the corner of Vernon and Springfield, this spot has handed me some nice shots in the past and I've developed a certain relationship with it. I stood there listening to the crickets and the odd bird call as my right index grew sore. About ten minutes later I released the shutter with hopes that my first attempt in photographing the night sky would be successful. It was! This is the first of many midnight photographs. The first of anything usually leaves you with a good feeling, one of excitement. I felt like a frontiersman of my own personal exploration, of a singular branch of life, being photography. I'm not going to lie, its a good feeling.


(the res. on this site isn't the best)
The stars look as if they are rotating, but it is obviously us that is spinning. In this next picture you can see how far they (or rather, we) moved.


(the camera shook a bit)
I will post more on photography later. Thanks for reading.

1 Comments:

At 6:30 PM, Blogger The Hippie Triathlete said...

"Masterpieces are not single and solitary births; they are the outcome of many years of thinking in common, of thinking by the body of the people, so that the experience of the mass is behind the single voice." -Virginia Woolf

Your comment that photography is like "a singular branch of life" reminded me of this quote.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home